Presenting Your 2008 Ryder Cup Squad
I'm not one for looking to the past. What's done is done, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I'd rather look to the future and make my predictions for who will be (or maybe should be) on the 2008 Ryder Cup team for the American side.
First, it's going to be a more youthful affair. There are plenty of young guys making some noise who will be in prime position to lead the team to victory at Valhalla. Second, the captain's picks should focus on guys who might be a little inconsistent but who can make amends by going on birdie barrages. In match play, you need guys who can catch fire and put their opponents on their heels.
Here's what the team might look like in 2008:
1) Tiger Woods - maybe he'll do better next time
2) Phil Mickelson - he'd better start caring, or he'll be riding the pine
3) Jim Furyk - he'll still be his solid self
4) Ryan Moore - he's ready to break out and grab a few wins
5) Chad Campbell - he's going to get even better
6) Stewart Cink - I'm not a fan, but I have to admit he's good in the Ryder Cup
7) Lucas Glover - he'll play in five or six Cups before it's all over
8) Arron Oberholser - this guy can go lights out
9) Ben Curtis - his newfound confidence will serve him well in the next two years
10) Kevin Stadler - he can play
11) J.B. Holmes - gotta love his long ball; he can make birdies in a hurry
12) Anthony Kim - he'll be the first Asian-American to make the squad
Others to consider:
1) Will Mackenzie
2) Bubba Watson
3) Bill Haas
4) Zach Johnson
5) Hunter Mahan
The team I'm predicting looks a lot different than the 2006 version. That can only be a good thing.
Does anyone else have some ideas?