Shop a wide variety of Callaway Golf accessories at Callaway's official online store! Eyewear, bags, gloves, and much more. Click Here!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Game Is All Over the Map

Every summer, I get frustrated with my golf game -- not enough to stop playing, but enough to make some noise about it.

A week and a half ago, I shot an 80, which is a very good score for me. The next round, I shot a 92. Granted, the 92 was on a more difficult track, but my round was disturbingly inconsistent. Then, this past Saturday I thought I was swinging well, but I turned in the worst round of the year, a 101. The slope was 136, and the greens were slow, but there was no reason to be shooting more than 90. I was hitting drives crooked and couldn't make any putts. After the round, I counted 12 penalty strokes. That's insane!

I was hoping that the 101 was an aberration, but the very next day I shot a 98 that included seven triples. Are you kidding me?

I need help. Here are my ideas:
1) Go to the range and work on the driver.
2) Sign up for a golf camp somewhere warm this fall. Any recommendations by readers would be appreciated (leave suggestions in the comments section).
3) Relax and don't think about the last couple of rounds.
4) See a shrink.

Idea #1 is the most appealing. I never go to the range, and it shows. I'm going to hit balls a bunch before the next time I play, and I'm going to report back my results.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I got a suggestion for you, Gorman: Get a clue! Your golf game sucks donkey. Maybe you should think of trying a sport that fits you, such as croquet or lawn bolling.

In all seriousness, consider hiring a pro for an hour or two. He or she might figure out the hitch in your swing. Then you can destroy me on the golf course even more than usually do.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have 2 choices. First is a shrink which is expensive, and they are all nuts anyway. Secondly, find a good pro, take 3 or 4 lessons, spread over about 6 weeks. Spend a lot of range time in between each, and play once or twice a week. Your problem is mechanics not tempo....much easier to correct. Seems you are owed a few lessons from a past birthday!

8:05 AM  
Blogger John Gorman said...

Both of you are right. Lessons are the way to go -- and hitting the range consistently. Thanks for the feedback.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J5 - Two words: Mel Sol
3 day golf school at Pawley's Plantation, Myrtle Beach, SC.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home