Shop a wide variety of Callaway Golf accessories at Callaway's official online store! Eyewear, bags, gloves, and much more. Click Here!

Thursday, February 24, 2005

A Site For Keen Eyes

There's a site that many golf course design junkies must bookmark if they haven't already. It's an amazing resource for learning about significant golf courses around the world. You really won't believe how impressive it is until you check it out. It's called Golf Club Atlas, and its creator is a North Carolina man named Ran Morrissett. The detail (hole-by-hole descriptions), the terrific photos, and the keen insights make Golf Club Atlas a destination site for those who fancy themselves armchair architects.

If any of you have ever thought up a "wish list" of courses to play, Mr. Morrissett can sympathize with you. Of course, his list is fluid, as he seems to get around pretty well, but in case you'd like to take a peek at where he wants to play next, check out The Next Fifty. I rank all the courses I play on a personal list, but I've never made such an extensive wish list as The Next Fifty. I do however have a list that I think I can realistically play in the near-term (1-3 years). My current Top 10 of this kind of course is as follows:

1) Pacific Dunes - Tom Doak
2) Bandon Dunes - David Kidd
3) Highlands Links - Stanley Thompson
4) Banff Springs - Stanley Thompson
5) Mauna Kea - Robert Trent Jones, Sr.
6) Pinehurst No. 2 - Donald Ross
7) Teeth of the Dog - Pete Dye
8) Pasatiempo - Alister MacKenzie
9) Spyglass Hill - Robert Trent Jones, Sr.
10) Shadow Creek Golf Club - Tom Fazio

Shadow Creek might not be realistic, but I like to aim high! It looks as though Mr. Morrissett has played most of the courses on my list. When I play them, I hope I appreciate them as much as he seems to have.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GCA is a superb site. Postings are great Ran does an excellent job

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home