Shop a wide variety of Callaway Golf accessories at Callaway's official online store! Eyewear, bags, gloves, and much more. Click Here!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Bonus Points for Davis Love

I've never been a DL3 fan. I don't know why, but he's always struck me as milquetoast. I also think he should have won more big tournaments, so that could have subconsciously turned me off.

Lately, he's redeemed himself by fighting his way into the U.S. Open and the Open Championship. I'm glad he cares enough and has enough pride to want to compete in the biggest tournaments. Lots of other guys would have made excuses and played in other, less rigorous events.

So today he gets even more bonus points for me when he ripped the players who are crying about the high winds and wet weather at the Open. He said, "If you don't want to come then don't come. That's the way to do it. Fact is this is the oldest tournament in the world and it's the biggest in the world. I'm happy to be here. It's always frustrating and that's why you need the determination of Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods to win." Unlike some golfers, Love has an appreciation for golf's history and the people who made it such a profitable endeavor for today's players.

I went to the Open at Carnoustie last year, and the weather was pretty nice, so I haven't seen this championship up close when it's brutal. However, I've played many times when lesser men would have not even stepped on the first tee. I commend DL3 for playing well and for stepping up and telling it like it is. He might have just earned a new fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home