Shop a wide variety of Callaway Golf accessories at Callaway's official online store! Eyewear, bags, gloves, and much more. Click Here!

Friday, July 01, 2005

It's been a long time, but I'm back!

I don't really know where to start. Since my last post, many things have occurred in my golfing world, not the least of which is my continued erratic play. So instead of boring you with every detail, here's a quick snapshot to get everyone up to par:

1) I played two rounds of golf in Iceland in May. At the Grafarholt GC (Reykjavik), I nearly had my best back nine ever, only to miss two well-struck three-footers on the last two holes to shoot a ho-hum 39. If you haven't been to Iceland -- Go! The golf is very good, and the scenery is even better.

2) My mom won the Ladies Club Championship at her home course, Whitemarsh Valley CC. As the former Southern California Junior Champion (about 40 years ago), she reached back to her youth to beat a pair of teenage sisters by a shot. Great going, Mom!

3) My brothers and I hosted our fourth annual golf trip to Ocean City, NJ at the end of April. The weather really cooperated, and everyone had a good time. I was able to play five rounds in four days, and my scores were all over the map. A low of 83 and a high of 103. Go figure... The lowlight of the trip might have been when the winning foursome from our Saturday tournament bet all of their winnings (about $1,200) on one spin of roulette. They bet red, and the ball dropped into black eight. Roulette can be a lot like golf -- you need to get good bounces to be successful. I'll stick with blackjack.

4) My brother Patrick discovered a cool web site called MyGolfRecord. I have become hooked on it, as has my friend Jack. Check it out if you've never seen it. It's the best site out there for handicaps, stats, golf journals, and course reviews.

5) Patrick also broke 90 for the first time -- in Iceland. I wonder if he's the first American to ever do that in Iceland. Probably. People in the pro shop at Leynir GC (Akranes) said they couldn't remember Americans ever playing it.

6) I've been making progress on my quest to play 1,000 different golf courses. I've added some new ones already this year, and have plenty in the queue. I play #150 and 151 this weekend.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really must have felt the need to add some courses to your count if you were willing to give up the sight-seeing in Iceland for 2 rounds of golf. The deadline is coming faster and faster.

10:12 PM  
Blogger brigita said...

I'm trying to get The Mister interested in a trip to Iceland. Unfortunately I haven't gotten very far, even working the golf angle. :(

11:33 AM  
Blogger John Gorman said...

You definitely need to get him over to Iceland. It's incredible. You guys would love it, and they have great fares from Boston.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home