Shop a wide variety of Callaway Golf accessories at Callaway's official online store! Eyewear, bags, gloves, and much more. Click Here!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Twelve Toughest Courses I've Ever Played

Recently, Golf Digest put out a list of America's 50 Toughest Golf Courses. I've been thinking about it a little since I'm playing the super-tough Bethpage Black this weekend, which is sixth on the list. I've played six other courses on the list and am scheduled to play the TPC Sawgrass in November. So, I can claim to be credible on the subject. Plus, as a mid-handicapper, tough courses expose my weaknesses much faster than your average course.

What makes a course tough? Lots of things. However, for me it is two things. 1) Super-long par 4s, and 2) Raised green complexes that require precision approach shots. Lots of hazards and funky or fast greens don't bother me too much. Usually my score goes up when the distance is packed into the par 4s and the greens are tough to hold. A third thing that can get me (because I'm a mental midget) is tight driving corridors.

Here's my personal list of 12 Toughest Golf Courses:
1) Princeville Resort (Prince)
2) Wild Dunes (Links)
3) Merion (East)
4) Galloway National
5) Tot Hill Farm
6) The Course at Yale
7) Bulle Rock Golf Club
8) Mattaponi Springs
9) Long Island National
10) The Gauntlet at Curtis Park
11) Bayonne Golf Club
12) Golden Horseshoe (Gold)

Has anyone out there in Networked Golfer Land played a doosie I should check out in my spare time? Disagreements?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Gauntlet is tough because it blows.

10:51 AM  
Blogger John Gorman said...

I considered making a special list of unfair courses. The Gauntlet would be included in that, probably at the top of the list.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The toughest course I've played, and I've played it a lot - Golden Eagle at the Tides Inn in Irvington, VA. Tight tree-lined holes with wicked small turtle-backed greens.

Mattaponi is a mindnumbing as well. But for as poorly as I play that course its fun. As is PBDye.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to see that list. Pendleton will go on it after you play it this summer.

11:09 AM  
Blogger John Gorman said...

I'm glad we have a variety of commenters, including Jack, Swammy, Champ, Champ for a Year, and Just Ur Average Hack. I love reading multiple opinions from a single coffee-addled brain.

I hope Pendleton doesn't resemble the Gauntlet. That would be a travesty.

I think PB Dye is tough, but there are several fairly cake holes that make the hard ones seem easier (i.e. 4, 7, 10, 12, 17).

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home