Shop a wide variety of Callaway Golf accessories at Callaway's official online store! Eyewear, bags, gloves, and much more. Click Here!

Friday, October 19, 2007

One of My Last Remaining Excuses to Play Better Goes Down the Tubes

We all have excuses for why we don't play better. Some people vocalize them all (often), while others use more restraint and don't taint their reputations by making excuses for their sketchy play.

The ones that I hear (and use) most often are:
1) I don't play enough.
2) I never spend any time on the range.
3) I'm getting old, and my body isn't as flexible as it used to be.
4) It's too slow on weekends. It takes me out of my rhythm.
5) It's a) too windy, b) too soggy, c) too cold, d) too hot.
6) The greens are too slow/fast.
7) I need better technology.
8) I only play well when there's something on the line.
9) I have too many other things on my mind.
10) I've been playing too much recently.
This week I got rid of #11, which is, "My eyesight is crummy." I went to the eye doctor for the first time in my adult life, and it turns out I need specs.
The technician who checked my eyes before the doctor saw me asked what the problem was. I told her that I thought my eyes, especially my left one, weren't as good as they used to be. She asked for examples. I said that it's difficult to see exactly where someone's drive lands if it goes 200+ yards. She gave me a look. Then I told her that I thought my putting was suffering because my left eye is a mess. She gave me a very exasperated look. So, I told her I had to strain while driving at night and while sitting at the computer for a long time. These examples seemed to satisfy her. No more looks.

I got the specs yesterday, and I'm trying to get accustomed to wearing them. The optician said it's going to take a few days for them to feel comfortable because my eye muscles need to adjust. Already, things are much clearer and sharper. The difference is nothing short of amazing.

It remains to be seen whether the glasses will help my golf game, but I imagine they will. At the very least, I'll be able to pick the exact tree that my ball hits, even if it's 250 yards away.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a working site?

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested to hear how the specs work out. I have not been to an eye doctor yet either. Last time I had a physical that checked them, they were fine, but that was almost 10 years ago now. I am not sure if it is fear of finding out my eyes are not as good anymore, procrastination or my drives have not justified the need. Feel free to interpret the drives comment as you wish.
JC

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home