Shop a wide variety of Callaway Golf accessories at Callaway's official online store! Eyewear, bags, gloves, and much more. Click Here!

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Recommended Golf Books

I recently posted links to golf books that I would recommend all fans of golf and golf course architecture read. It is by no means a comprehensive list, and it will continue to be revised and expanded, but I thought you, the Networked Golfer faithful, would want to be made aware of it. I listed a few books that you have probably never heard of or thought to read. Worst case scenario is that you impress your guests when they scan your shelves.

It's on the sidebar to the right in the section titled, "Recommended Reading."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without getting into text books (or books that look and read like textbooks) on the subject, any bookshelf should also have "Scotland's Gift" by CB Macdonald, "Golf Architecture" by Alister McKenzie, and AW Tillinghast has a number of journal articles published and available.

For some more recent authors, try
"Grounds for Golf: The History and Fundamentals of Golf Course Design"
by Geoff Shackelford.

5:12 PM  
Blogger John Gorman said...

Chris-
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't read "Scotland's Gift", but I hear it is essential. I have "Grounds for Golf," and it's pretty good. I hear Shackelford has done better stuff. I like his blog, so I'll need to seek out more of his works.

I'll update the reading list soon. I wanted to get some good ones up there to start.

PS - To keep with the Macdonald theme, I also hear George Bahto's book, "Evangelist of Golf: The Story of Charles Blair Macdonald," is superb.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Bogey Man" by George Plimpton, late 60's is a classic if you can get hold of it!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home