Shop a wide variety of Callaway Golf accessories at Callaway's official online store! Eyewear, bags, gloves, and much more. Click Here!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Woods' Knee and Nicklaus' Record

The gist of the articles I've read about Tiger Woods' knee surgery earlier this week is, "Don't worry about it! Tiger will be good as new in no time. It might even make him more unbeatable!" This story is a prime example of how golf writers are not taking the surgery very seriously.

I'm not a doctor, and thankfully I've never had knee surgery. And, I know a scope isn't a complicated procedure anymore. However, this is the third time that Tiger has had surgery to his left knee. Logic tells me that this is not the straightest line to beating Jack Nicklaus' major championship record.

People think that it's a given that Tiger will blow past Fat Jack's record of 18 majors, maybe even in the next two or three years. I think he will break the record eventually, but keep his knee in mind before proclaiming he'll do it very soon. The left knee is very important to the golf swing. If it doesn't repair perfectly, or if he experiences more trouble down the road (this seems likely to a layman like me), he could alter his swing enough to lose some or all of his edge over the competition.

Tiger's too smart to return to the Tour too early or put too much strain on a bum knee, but with the way he swings, a huge injury could be just around the corner. I think the golfing world (and Tiger fans especially) should be concerned about the knee troubles. It's the key to Woods' quest to break the biggest golf record of them all, and Team Woods is going downplay it all they can with the hope that we'll all buy their story. I'm not buying it yet.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

J5, if they were amputating for frost-bite, I'd be worried. And its not like he finished last at the Masters, he finished 2nd! Good knee bad knee, it doesn't matter. He's the best period.

And who died recently and made you the media/blogesphere instigator/agitator?

2:43 PM  
Blogger John Gorman said...

You're right to point out that's he was playing well with a bum knee. My point is that there's a better chance that it'll get worse over the long run than better.

I appointed myself chief of golf blog controversy. I'd hand the title over to Jacked Up, but he doesn't seem to want it.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you serious Tiger is a beast and with one real leg and a plastic leg he could beat Jack's record. This is no big deal he has had this 3 times already he'll be back and win two out of three majors coming up.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what they were saying on the Golf Channel (that's right, you dont have it) yesterday, you are way ahead of the curve with this blog!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Sara Gorman said...

I told you I would! I tagged you for that little blog game. Check out my site for the rules ...look for the bit about the six-word memoir meme.

Thanks for playing!
www.despitelupus.blogspot.com

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home